Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Bucket List, Only Modified!

Time for another blog. I just checked out Chelsea's blog to look at a picture she posted and I saw she had 3 more blogs posted since last I read her blog. I need to hop on it. I do have to say, that I did have a blog ready to be posted, but I decided against it, since it was mostly about work. Even though it was all positive stuff about work, I didn't want any of my co-workers to read it and be offended in any way. I just got this job and I plan on keeping it.

Right now I am at my sisters house and I just got done drinking some Starbucks coffee so I am ready to ROCK!. I have so much home work to do. I have to bring my boots to the Cobbler and then buy a jacket at target since it dropped 30 degrees and I didn't bring a coat with me for tonight. I need to get my day started.

As usual every Friday night, and Saturday morning/afternoon, I start to think of things I want to do with my life or hobbies I want to take up. I usually think of 80 different things and never follow through. Naturally I want to do them all at once, but I cant afford it and then I get overwhelmed and never do any of them. I figure if I write a list down I will be more adamant on following through with them, therefore making me feel more accomplished.

Here are a few hobbies I am really going to follow through with:
  1. I want to take golf lessons
The idea of taking golf lessons came up a while ago between me and my friend Val. We both are sick of going to the bars and we don't like the crappy hang over feeling the next day, so unusually we sit at home and don't really do much. Yeah, I know its lame, and some say that I am turning into an old lady, but I'd rather watch diners, dives and drive ins on Food Network then go out and drop $50 bucks and gain 10 lbs in one night. But, I do need a hobby, and one that will let me meet people. I love my 4 friends I have dearly, but lets be serious guys, I need to get myself out there. I am a very out going person and I can make friends with anyone, but I need to find those friends haha. Last I checked you can't make friends through the T.V. well I bet there is a way to, but that's not how I want to make friends.

Val and I have decide on taking golf lessons so we can be ready for the summer and do tournaments and maybe, just maybe meet some people. I am really excited about this. I did some research and found a few places in Rochester that have lessons. I actually realized that I have a friend that went to the academy of golf and is a gold instructor. I contacted him and he gave me some great advice. I did, however find out that gold lessons run about $50 a half hour. Kinda steep if you ask me, but I want to do it so I am saving my money. I reported back to Val what I found and she came up with a great idea. Apparently her father is like a PGA golf player so she suggested he teach us. I was like, "sounds good to me!" So hopefully we will be on the road to golf and learn well enough to play a few tourneys this summer and make some friends. I also heard that its good to know how to play golf if you'd like to network with some business professionals since its a pretty popular thing to do in the business world. If I don't find some friends hopefully i'll find a promotion.

2. I want to take a cake decorating class

This idea goes all the way back to when I was younger and I wanted to grow up and make wedding cakes for movie stars for a living. One day, when I was in, I think 9th grade, I was watching Oprah and she had on this cake decorated who made wedding cakes for famous people and I was in awe. I knew that was something I wanted to do. Since I didn't go to culinary school and really didn't follow through with it to the max. I've always wanted to take the cake decorating class that Joanne Fabrics offers.

I've wanted to do this for years, and my aunt was always ready to do it with me, but I never followed through with it. The dates never worked, I didn't have enough money or what ever the case, but I just didn't follow through with it. Now, I am ready to do it. I have money to pay for it. Today I looked up the class schedule on the web, it is not posted so when it is I am going to sign up for it. Its only $21 and there are three level of classes. Each class is about 2 to 3 hours. Its not bad at all and I am really excited. I am going to do all three levels. The reason why I am determined to do this for the Month of March is because my friend Chelsea is getting married. So in my head, I'm thinking, if I'm good enough at it, and if she wants a simple cake then maybe, just maybe I can make a wedding cake for her. Now, I know this is a big task and a big part of the big day for someone, but its my motivation. Even if she wants to buy her cake, I'm OK with it, but if I have something to actually showcase my skills I'll have, then I'll follow through with it more. So....I am taking the cake decorating class.

3. I want to travel somewhere tropical with just my girls.

Ever since I can remember, my best girl fiends and I have been talking about going on vacation together. finally we all have real jobs that pay us decent money. Now we can really go somewhere fun! My cousin Christine is always down to go anywhere so if this doesn't go through at least I know I will be going somewhere fun with her. I really want to go to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean. But, i think that may just be too much to ask. Sometimes, we all say we are going to do something but it always falls though. I am determined to never let this fall through. I want to go somewhere on a beach and just sit and get tan and have drink with my girls all day long. Last night I was looking up Tahiti and Fiji and Bora Bora. Now I know all of these places are way too expensive for us, but honestly I would love to go there. All of those places are absolutely beautiful though. I seriously cant get over how pretty they are. When I get married, If I get married, i will definitely be heading to Tahiti to stay with my husband in a hut over the water, its really not that ridiculously priced. But as for a trip with my girls, I'm thinking somewhere in Mexico or maybe even just Key West could be a destination for our fun vaca. I just want to go on a fun vacation with my friends. I haven't really gone anywhere with my friends, when I have money. If I have gone on vacation with friends, its not all of them at once. I remember sitting in the airport flying to CA and seeing these group of girls all heading to Vegas together. Someone asked what the occasion was and the girl just said, "there is no occasion we all just are good friends and wanted to go away together!" So, I am determined to do this.

Finally......Number 4!!!!

Speed dating!!!!!!

Once again, my friend Valerie and I want to meet new people. After getting out of my last relationship I am in no hurry to start dating someone nor am I infatuated in having a boyfriend to watch movies with and just hang out with. I'm over that. Now I want quality. the next guy I date will be someone that I will a) not take shit from and b) just be someone that is everything that I want in a boyfriend. I know it sounds unrealistic, but I know its not, Ive seen it happen to other girls, so i know it will happen to me. In, the mean time whats the harm in testing the waters and doing something fun like speed dating. Val's aunt was the one that gave us the idea. How fun right?! If you are not familiar with the whole speed dating thing this is how it goes.

In Rochester its hosted by Cupid.com, so you know its legit and not like a murderer's festival, then you pick the day you want to go and you go to the spot where they are having it. Usually it is at the Strathallen Hotel downtown, very nice place. There's a total of about 20 people, men and women and all the women sit down and so do the men. you get about 5-8 mins of talking time with the guy sitting in front of you and then someone rings a bell and they men have to rotate to the girl next to them and you get a new guy sitting at your table. this goes on until everyone meets everyone. If you are interested in someone you tell the hosts and then they will get you in contact with that person. there is no exchanging phone numbers, so that is a plus so you don't have to have deny the guy right then and there. Talk about adding to the awkwardness already happening.

I don't know why I find this so much fun. Everyone is like aren't you afraid of meeting weirdos. Well of course, but going out downtown Rochester is like a weirdo festival, so it won't be anything different then going to the bars. I think its gonna be a lot of fun, and it'll be a great topic to talk about with people. I honestly just picture me and who ever i go with laughing the whole time and then going gout for drinks to talk about our experience. So, I don't know i think it'll be great and I will definitely be blogging about that when it happens!!

So those are my four new things I want to do soon!!!
I;ll be blogging about each hobby or event so I can keep everyone updated.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I just sent you an email and stated (by memory) that i remember you talking about cake decorating since 9th grade. Dude. I'm SO on it. I actually think we were downstairs in your basement when we talked about it. Anyhow - good times (that I miss). And - I love the cake idea! I think it would be so incredibly special. But...I heard it's a quite the task so don't stress. What's most important is having you there.

    If you ever want to get away my dad is dying for anyone to stay in his condos in Panama City to check on them. Not the most glamorous or tropical place in the world - but I could use a little lax time and sun - for free!!

    ReplyDelete